Thursday, April 12, 2012

Detailed details

Yesterday was a long day. We had only two doctors appointments.... How long could that take? Well apparently all day. We started at the oncologist in the morning after dropping the kids at school. Thankfully they are near one another. The appointment went well. We went over my results and my oncologist was pleases that there had been no spreading of the cancer. Then we went back to talk to a wonderful woman who explained what would be happening next with the chemo and radiation, any side effects I could expect like tiredness and nausea. We discussed the nausea pills I will take and that I will be spending about 6 hours getting my chemo once a week. It was nice to have someone so helpful, kind, and willing to take the time to answer any questions we might have and go over what will be coming. She was a blessing and answer to prayer. I will be having chemo for 5-6 weeks on Mondays. These will be long days for me because after chemo I will need to go and have radiation as well that day. I shouldn't lose my hair, maybe just some thinning out. And if I stay on top of the nausea with the medicine i will have I shouldn't have any of that either. I will have to have blood work done ( on my tiny veins... Ugh) every week to make sure all my cells are behaving. They will closely watch that.
Then off to lunch we went...
Then to the radiologist we went. It was late in the day already so we waited a while there. When we got in we went over everything again with the nurse practitioner... What to expect, the tiredness and metallic taste in my mouth making it a little hard to eat...so much information. Then we saw the doctor and he told us what to expect... We really should know everything by now I was thinking..... The doctor
Said that after the radiation is complete He would then have me have a surgical procedure where I will stay in the hospital 2-3 days and have a heavy radiation dose done to complete the process. He said He wants to be as aggressive as He can with me since I am young:) and healthy to be sure we did as much to kill any cells that may be lingering. Then He told me How they do the radiation and pinpoint exactly where to target the radiation. It all sounded so scientific and amazing. He told me I would be tattooed so that they would have permanent markers to line up the beams. Crazy! It sounded almost as complicated as rocket science. I am thankful there are people God has gifted to be able to figure this sort of stuff out. So then I was brought into a room and there they molded my legs into a mold that I will be placed in to make sure everything lines up the same every time. It was a large sheet of something that they pumped up and molded to fit my legs, like a leg rest. That will stay that way for my whole time of treatment so that every time I come I will just have to get in my mold and they line up my tattoo dots:) and off we go. Then. She tatooed me with three little freckle like dots (my first tatoo, my husband says once you get one they are addictive :). When it was over they did a test run and got the X-rays so they could make this all happen with those amazing people that do that. So when I come back everyday I just get in my mold and they radiate me ;). And I am out of there with in a half an hour. That will be nice because I will be going there Mon-Friday for 5-6 weeks.
Then it was over. I will begin Radiation on Wednesday of next week. It was a long day but now we have a plan of action and we can get moving on it. I am ready and relying on God to continue going ahead of me as we go down this journey together. I appreciate your prayers and support and I love you all.