Monday, April 23, 2012

Chemo Day One

Well I have now had my first Chemo treatment.  It went well.  The place is beautiful, the waiting room is like a fine hotel waiting room.  When I checked in at the front desk I was given a lunch menu to choose from full of yummy foods....I like yummy foods.  Then they lead us back to a spacious room with lots of chairs that recline.  There were windows all along the walls.  I was shown a section and the nurse told me I could choose my chair.  I picked the one by the window, it looked out at some green trees.  I settled in and they gave me a warmed blanket (everywhere I go they give me a warm blanket).  And we began to talk about all the things we are suppose to talk about with the nurse.  She asked me a lot of questions....gave me some more details about what could happen....she gave me a cool book that will answer any questions I might have, since I really wasn't paying that much attention ;)  She took my blood pressure and of course it was high, and my pulse was high....I was a little more nervous than I thought I suppose.  Well we talked about that....and we took it again...still high....I wasn't surprised.  My blood pressure always goes up when I am at a new doctor.  She had to call my doctor and He wanted me to take some sleepy medicine..so we talked some more...there is a lot of talking I think this first time around.  The nurse decided that we would wait on the sleepy meds and just keep checking my blood pressure.  I told her I was going to watch a Beth Moore bible study so I really didn't want to go to sleep, but I said I would do what ever she thought I should do.  We decided to wait a bit.
So we attacked the next issue.... getting an IV into my tiny veins.  I told the nurse that this is an issue a lot of times, you know...just to warn her ;)  This was really a bit of an anxiety thing I was having with the whole chemo thing.  I had told a couple people and asked for prayer for this specific thing and God really answered this one in such an awesome way.  I was told that I should drink a lot of water going into chemo, that this would help my veins.  So I took it upon myself to drink very large quantities of water...you know to help God out ;)  Well of course God had this all worked out already, He really didn't need my help.  I mean I had prayed and asked for prayer that God would go ahead of us and prepare this path.  And then I had prayed and asked for specific prayer that God would help my veins get bigger.  Well He had it all worked out, in His way, not the way I had thought.  The nurse brought out this cool machine that is like a scanner and she ran it over my arm and  she could see a vein.  It was such a God sent blessing.  I was very thankful.  She was able to get the IV in and we were all set to go!  Isn't God cool????
So I was hooked up and they first gave me a bag of fluid to get my body hydrated.  I sat there for 2 hours getting the first bag of fluid.  I read a little, watched the video for an hour, ate lunch, got my blood pressure checked ;0, used the restroom, used the restroom....did I mention I was REALLY hydrated! I  chatted with the woman who came a little after me.  It was her first time too.  We talked about all the things she had heard and I told her all the things I had heard.  We discovered we were going through the same treatment for the same thing....Isn't that cool too!  My Mom came and visited me for a while.  Then I began to get the chemo bag.  By then I was comfy in my seat and I decided not to think about the fact that I was now getting chemo.  My awesome nurse assured me this would feel no different than the fluid, she was right.  So I took the chemo bag for 1 hour.  More chatting with my new chemo friend and book reading, going to the bathroom toteing along my IV....By then my husband was back and I got to spend some time chatting with him.  And of course the nurse came and took my blood pressure, just to keep an eye on me.  I never did get the sleepy medicine. My blood pressure was still a little high but everyone seemed comfortable with it.  She was gracious to me.  She knew I really didn't want to take the sleepy meds so she had assured me I would be fine because she was watching me.  I don't think it would have been bad to have taken the sleepy meds.  I just wasn't feeling anxious, I mean I guess I was, but I didn't feel anxious.  I don't know what difference it would have made, but I never did take it.
Then all of a sudden my IV beeped and it was all done.  My IV was pulled out, I didn't even feel that.  And I was free to go.
It was a nice place, the people were wonderful, very skilled, very sweet, very kind, very reassuring,very comforting.  I could not have been in any better hands.  But I know I was in God's hands which IS even better.  He truly went before me and prepared my path.  In His perfect way.  I am so thankful I have a God that can prepare my way.  What a gift.  If I place my trust in Him He promises to take care of me.
Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds in the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?
The birds I see usually look pretty well taken care of.  God seems to do a great job with them.  They often are singing pretty little songs.  They don't seem anxious, they know they are taken care of.  I can trust that same God to take care of me.  It says so in Matthew 6.
Well I have a week to come I am sure it won't be all easy.  I am going to take my meds, and go 50 mph (or maybe 60) instead of my usual 120 mph and we will just see how it goes.  I am glad my nurse told me to do as much as I can.  I think I will try to do as much as I can.  I know my God has got me.  I am going to trust Him this week.  I know He will take care of me, just like He does the birds.

Blessings